A Pretentiously Angst-Ridden Diary of Ephemera. Also, monkeys.

Saturday, August 09, 2008

NBC = teh liars

I just watched Michael Phelps win his first gold medal in Beijing 'live' on NBC. I would have believed the little gold graphic in the top corner proclaiming that this was 'live' -- if I hadn't already seen Michael Phelps win the exact same gold medal more than three hours earlier on CBC. So either Canada's got some serious time-warp action going on, or NBC isn't exactly being honest...

In other news, despite my growing concerns with the Olympics as a horrendously wasteful exercise in patriotism and my continuing concerns with rewarding China with the games simply because they have economic clout, I am once again addicted to the spectacle. I can resist anything but temptation, it seems.

4 Comments:

Blogger Crypto said...

I am also addicted, but I have always loved the olympics. Today I got up at 4 am to watch Alexander Dale Oen win Norway's first ever olympic medal in swimming. It was totally worth the short night of sleep.

2:26 AM

 
Blogger biku said...

I wonder if the three hour difference was an west-coast/east coast thing? Ie you were watching CBC on BC time but then later NBC was broadcasting... no, wait. My head asplode.

8:54 AM

 
Blogger bento said...

Wow, I have to admit I don't get up at 4am to watch anything. I'm a fairly promiscuous Olympics watcher, actually -- anything's good.

As for your time-workings, biku, I find your head asploding very very hilarious. I know it must hurt, but still. teehee.

11:48 AM

 
Blogger kobuta said...

I am totally addicted to watching the Olympics. I love it...the emotion, the anthems, the atheletes. I just try to ignore the sometimes tasteless behaviour or commentary that inevitably pops up because I am an optimist and an idealist at heart. The goals of the games ("One World, One Dream") are so lofty, so impossible...is any city or country really worthy of representing them? That being said, I'm also cynical and China is going waaaay out of its way to be the perfect host; the cost must be unimaginable and the negative effects felt by ordinary citizens must be huge.

NBC stinks. CBC forever (minus 2010).

2:20 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home